Monday, February 05, 2007

Judgemental? ME?




"You want me to do what!?"



todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

that I am aware that my mind is a dangerous place

that since getting sober 3 years and 5 months ago, I am not angry

a great meeting on being judgemental. It made me think of my lack of love and tolerance, both for myself and for others. After all, those are supposed to be my new code!

~~ (opinion) I also think that humans are naturally judgemental. From the earliest years, many of us are taught to be competitive (grades in school, athletics, etc) which is a nice word for judgemental. Religions seem to be extremely judging of everyone. Many people judge their friends and foes by their views on politics and even by the clothes they wear. The list goes on and on. ~~ (opinion over)

that Motorcycle Mike will be in Houston this week and with some luck, we can meet up

that I have not yet met all the friends I will meet during my lifetime

for some very nice words after I told my AA story Saturday night. Because of my low self-esteem, I thought people were just trying to make me feel better. I find it very difficult to accept compliments gracefully (with aplomb). My home-group supplied a feast of Bar-B-Que and all the fixins.

Don’t let the fear of striking out hold you back.
-Babe Ruth

16 comments:

Pammie said...

Good morning Dave. I really liked your views on "judgement". Isn't it "alcoholically funny" that if everyone said your speaking saturday night was horrible you would believe them instantly, but when you get a compliment...they must just be being nice? ;)
If any kind of meeting gets organized for Motorcyle Mike while he is in houston (aa meeting) please let me know. I'm glad you are out there Dave.

Mary Christine said...

I thought that people were just being nice to me after speaking, until I bombed a few times (speaking from ego instead of from heart) and no one said a word. Now I believe them.

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mike said...

If there is a best night this week, I can probably make arrangements to break away from the corporate types anytime after 5 ish and head to Lambda Center or such.

Would be great to meet you and any of the other bloggers in that area.

Mike

Rex said...

Meeting folks from the blogger world is such a blast. Hope you all have a blast!

Anonymous said...

i wanted to make it for your story saturday night but i was sick. wish i could have been there. sounds like you did a great job and helped a lot of people. also, like your blog about judgement. i'm still so judgemental, i feel like. but it's getting a lot better with sobriety. there hope yet.

Scott M. Frey said...

I hope you and mortocyle mike can hook up, I know I really enjoyed meeting you and Scott when I was in H town!

judgemental, me?? oh man, there's not enough bytes for me ot explain my "judgemental-ness" is that a word? well it is now lol

Shannon said...

I leanred when taking compliments, not to think and to just say thank you... its got easier after a while.
(((HUGS))))

ArahMan7 said...

Judgemental? Me? Yeah, can't shake it off. My warmest regards to Mike.

JJ said...

So cool you are getting to meet Mike.
JJ

Meg Moran said...

I judge you pretty darn awesome

Todd HellsKitchen said...

I love that "my mind is a dangerous place" line!

lushgurl said...

Yup, I've been judgemental in my life then my sponsor told me when I'm pointing the finger at you, there are three pointing back at me! Translation: when something about you bugs me I have to look within to fix it!!!
My mind has been my worst nemesis...are we related? LOL

Mike said...

Dang dAAve, that's not my e-mail address.

Let me try again

MLORANG2004@yahoo.com

I guess I left off that all important year 2004 in the address.

Drop me a note and we can tie up via e-mail tonight and make a plan for later in the week.

Mike

Trudging said...

Poor, poor doggie

piglet said...

yeah, i felt like that after many talks (that folks were trying to be nice) until i realized that there really isn't any possible way we can actually mess up a talk.

perfection is in the imperfections.