Saturday, December 25, 2004

Blizzard of '04 !!

Houston doesn't get much snow. Wild & crazy weather, yes. But not much snow.

We are sub-tropical.

The last measureable snowfall in H-town was in 1989 - a deluge of 1.7". That was 15 years ago and it shut the city down for a day. What wasn't shut down was either empty or dented.

Yesterday we had snow.

On Christmas Eve.

I was taking my car to the car wash at 10am and the flakes began while I was on my way. I even got in line to get the car washed, then drove away because it sure looked like we were in for more of some type of precipitation. We had light flurries on and off throughout the day and night. I know you yankees will laugh about this; even I admit it was light snow.

But it was snow.

We ended up with an official 1/2" at the airport, 30 miles north of downtown. Areas surrounding the city had up to 7"; Galveston, 50 miles south, had 3".

This is the FIRST recorded snowfall on Christmas in Houston since they began keeping records back in 1880-something. First one I've ever seen and it brought out the kid in me. I thanked God (as I understand Him) for making all the little kids so happy and giving them a Christmas to remember.
Balcony with Snow  Dec24 2004
the balcony on my townhouse last night

sleigh

May you and yours be blessed this day
and each and every day to come.
Merry Christmas !!



No comments: