Thursday, November 19, 2009

All the world's a stage ...



todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

that I had the pleasure of attending 2 very powerful AA meetings yesterday AND a very good Al-Anon meeting as well

that I belong

that Scott W stayed sober another day

that we read Acceptance Was the Answer (a story from page 407 of the 4th edition of the Big Book) in the 6:30am AA meeting.
Here are a few excerpts ...

... "If you had my responsibilities, if you needed the sleep like I do, you'd drink too."
... "The pep pills affected my hearing at times: I couldn't listen fast enough to hear what I was saying."
... "In the hospital, I hung on to the idea I'd had most of my life: that if I could just control the external environment, the internal environment would then become comfortable."
... "To this day, I am amazed at how many of my problems -- most of which had nothing to do with drinking, I believed -- have become manageable or have simply disappeared since I quit drinking."
... "And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing, or situation -- some fact of my life -- unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing, or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment."

OK. I'll stop here.


Self-discipline is when your conscience tells you to do something and you don't talk back.
- W.K. Hope

9 comments:

Scott M. Frey said...

lol, i have been on both sides of conversations like the one in the photo...

that's my personal favorite AA Big Book Tale.

Pammie said...

That is the exact brindle color of my sweet Theo.
I went to a great speaker meeting last night and learned that I had MUCH more in common with the speaker than I ever thought.

Scott W said...

Thank you for my beautiful medallion!

Shannon said...

dont know why they had to change the name and pages of the story!!! lol I say read pg 449 and a lot of the new ppl are like whaaaaaaaaaaaaat??? lol even though page 449 got played out I am always very greatful for this change in attitude, and because a life saving tool for me! just sayin!
thanks for being you

Ed G. said...

Nicely said. Reminded me of a story I'll write up today.

Blessings and aloha...

Syd said...

Acceptance is the answer to my problems too. I just have to realize that every day.

Zanejabbers said...

417/449.

Tall Kay said...

Dr. Paul O. wrote a couple of amazing books too. He got sober here in SoCA and there are a few longtimers who talk about what a gentle loving man he was, and always had his hand out to welcome the newcomers!

Todd HellsKitchen said...

It IS the answer...