Sunday, November 01, 2009

still growing

This is from page 29 of Courage to Change. I really identify with it and it's been a good aid in my recovery.

"Sometimes the only way I can determine whether I'm trying to control someone else or whether I'm simply expressing my feelings is by noticing how many times I say the same thing. If I mention something that is on my mind and then let it go no matter what the response I get, I am speaking sincerely. If I repeatedly make similar suggestions or ask prodding questions again and again, I am probably trying to control. If I am satisfied only when the other person responds in a way I consider desirable -- agrees with what I've said or takes my advice --- then I know I've lost my focus."

Gosh. Recovery ain't easy.
I hope your Halloween was good. And safe.

9 comments:

Mary Christine said...

It was. I hope yours was too.

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

It's not easy but thank God for the fringe benefits...

Fellows like you make it worth it :)

I should be reading my Courage to Change much more often!

steveroni said...

My Halloween was good. It was good. It was good. It was good.

Scott M. Frey said...

hmmm good plan on the controlling of others thing, and on the hanging of shed doors lol

Scott W said...

Uh hnnm, onward to the month of Scott.

Ed G. said...

Nice message...

Halloween at my home group is always special since it only happens once in a while.

Blessings and aloha...

Tall Kay said...

Thanks for a really good reminder of how sneaky control can be. I just loved your suggestion of 'learning' to stage my house. I don't watch much TV and would have never known about that show.

Bill said...

Thanks very much for the passage from Courage to Change.

Sometimes I seem to be reading from Courage to Change Other People.

Syd said...

Good quote from Courage. I have done a lot of work in not trying to control other people. And there is more work to be done.