Wednesday, January 05, 2011

up to speed



todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

I try not to romanticize my drinking days, but memories of those times (good and bad) are necessary for me to keep fresh. Yesterday I was reminded about those first days of drinking as a teenager and the warm feeling of Drambouie as it slowly slipped down my throat. I can look back on that and know now that my alcoholism began then.

for this quote from the Big book, 4th edition, page 450 ...... "I had to separate my sobriety from everything else that was going on in my life. No matter what happened or didn't happen, I couldn't drink."

that today, I get to chair the first of 4 Wednesday noon speaker meetings this month

that my work on lowering my expectations (of everything) is on track and working well


Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.
- Mother Teresa



2 comments:

Syd said...

I decided that it is best to lower my expectations until I feel okay. Sometimes that means really lowering them to not expect anything.

drybottomgirl said...

Good post. Drambouie is a wicked devil in disguise, and I liked it as well. I remember so many things now that I had forgotten, there are days when a fresh recolection pops up and I cringe at something I did while consuming, but at least I can look at it, and laugh. It belongs to me, and those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it....