Tuesday, August 01, 2006

It's the little things


I lived and worked in Cork, Ireland for about 4 months back in 1990. My job had taken me out of the USA a year earlier and the only way my Mom could see me was to come and visit me wherever I was. So she and my sister (pictured) came to Ireland for a week. The pic is a highway near the west coast.

todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

that I can be present for my Mom and my sister whenever they need me OR want me around

that I can handle the BIG things in life, it's the little things I must watch out for

for reminders that I need to get out of my comfort zone more often

that I no longer depend on others to keep me happy, but they do sometimes make me sad

for an ample supply of red flags

for recognition of additional fears to be removed

that I made a doctor appointment and will begin using my new health insurance

that I got a lot of little things accomplished yesterday, including booking flights and a hotel room in NYC in September

We may pass violets looking for roses. We may pass contentment looking for victory.
-Bern Williams

9 comments:

Scott M. Frey said...

an ample supply of red flags.... I like that! I am a bit envious of your life in Ireland. Someday, my wife, son and I going to visit Ireland, Scotland and Italy, in search of our roots.....

Mary Christine said...

I love that quote - and that picture. And the rest of it too.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Soooo.... they had a room for you at the Waldorf??

Gooey Munster said...

"want me around"

Hearing this is one of the promises I beleive. So many days when we were not wanted to be around, our drunken energy affecting lives of those who loved us. It is wonderful that your family can see you today, the real grateful Dave.

Good for you on the medical care. Nurturing the body is supreme, I need to do this!

Shannon said...

I am still uncomfortable out of my comfort zone
what an amazing life you lead and all the places you've been

tkdjunkie said...

"I no longer depend on others to keep me happy, but they do sometimes make me sad." -- Right on. Thanks for sharing!

Daily Piglet said...

Ah, Ireland the home-land.... One day, I'll be there. And then I am going to roll around the hills and flowers like a puppy!

Comfort zone. Bob E said one time, "Comfort the disturbed, and Disturb the comfortable." It's a good thing.

lash505 said...

That is cool I have relatives in Cork. Go figure I'm 3/4 Irish and 1/4 Swiss. That is a cool shot of SISTA.

Unknown said...

"that I can be present for my Mom and my sister whenever they need me OR want me around"

Very good stuff.

Again with the travels! You should put a book together. I would read it! Be sure to include many pictures ;)