Tuesday, February 28, 2012

another sober day



todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

another day of waking up totally sober.  I rarely got hangovers during my 33-year drinking career.  I usually jumped out of bed at 5 or 6am, ready for the new day.  But I certainly wasn't sober, had I been given a blood/alcohol test.  It amazes me that I often drove van-loads of employees to and from airports, hotels and port calls when I was not sober.  I never even gave it a thought that it might not be the smartest thing to be doing.

that one of my bestest recovery buddies had an amazing past 2 weeks.  He got to work on the most important parts of his 9th step (with family) and also be present for his dad's illness.  At dinner last night I got to see the amazement he is experiencing.  I recognized it because I was there too. 

damn!  I love being sober!!


There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth
- not going all the way and not starting.
- The Buddha

3 comments:

Mary Christine said...

For some reason, this made me cry. You are such a good sober guy. And thanks for your offer yesterday. I got it while sitting silently at my desk - it made a difference in my day, even though I didn't make the call. Thanks Dave. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo, mc

Mrs D said...

How did you not get hangovers???!!! Hangovers killed me. Physical hangovers and emotional hangovers. Your blog is great and I love this pic. Cheers xxx

Syd said...

Yes, I used to be one of the people riding in those vans and cars. Scary now when I think about it.