Monday, February 27, 2012

Things



todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

that I was told to change people, places and things when I was first getting sober.
... people.  check
... places.  check
... things.  what the hell are things?

that I often get to do things my way.  Then I pay the consequences.

that I do my best to always stay positive.  Things can always be worse.


Far better is it to dare mighty things,
to win glorious triumphs,
even though chequered by failure,
than to take rank with those poor spirits
who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory or defeat.
- Theodore Roosevelt

3 comments:

Mary Christine said...

Maybe a computer is a "thing?"

Syd said...

I was told that I couldn't change people, places, and things. I suppose the government is a thing. Religion is a thing in a way. Maybe it means ideological things. ????

Lulu said...

For me, there are oodles of things that lead back to non-sober living. My alcoholism involved two bottles of wine a night and a whole boatload of "things" that cultivated the self-image I had as an active alcohlic. None of these things are inherently bad (like multiple graduate degrees, multiple yoga certifications, lots of gypsy-like accessories), but I craved and acquired them through alcohlic thinking ~ a very non-grounded, self-deluded place. I honestly have to think to myself before most of my purchases whether or not this is an authentic need/desire or if it's coming from my alcohlic behavior/self-image. I actually think one of my first blog posts is about an alcoholic pair of shoes! Anyway, that's how it works for me. Have a blissful sober evening....