Thursday, March 10, 2011

Habitually mine

If something is truly important to you, make it a daily habit. If healthy eating is important, make it a daily habit. If exercise is important, do it daily. If prayer is important, do it daily.

What you don't do daily, you probably won't do weekly either. What you make a habit of putting off just keeps getting pushed away again and again.

If something is important to you, attend to it immediately, and regularly. If something is not really important to you, that's great also - just scratch it off your to-do list forever, and never worry about it again. Choose how you invest your time, and honor your choices.


todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

that to be happily sober, I had to change some old habits -- and I did!

that when I stopped smoking, more old habits just disappeared. Things that I thought would keep me from being able to stop smoking, such as what to do with my hands, how could I possibly not smoke after eating? etc...

for my lifelong habit of waking up early, ready to face the day. Even at the height of my drinking, this was always the case. It has served me well.

for Steps 6 & 7 which are terrific aids in my recovery from bad habits


We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
- Will Durant (commonly attributed to Aristotle)

4 comments:

Pammie said...

I always know you are up early. I like to wait on the sun ya know?

Syd said...

Great stuff today. I am giving myself permission to let go of those things that I no longer want to do. You are like the sun.

Anonymous said...

THE ROOM OF CROSSES

The young man was at the end of his rope. Seeing no way out, he dropped to his knees in prayer. "Lord, I can't go on," he said, "My cross is too heavy to bear." The Lord replied, "My son, if you cannot bear its weight, just place your cross inside this room. Then open another door and pick out any cross you wish."

The man was filled with relief. "Thank you, Lord," he sighed, and did as he was told. As he looked around the room he saw many different crosses; some so large the tops were not visible.

Then he spotted a tiny cross leaning against a wall. "I'd like that one, Lord," he whispered. And the Lord replied, "My son, that's the cross you came in with."

Carol said...

It's funny to me how hard it is for me to remember to pray in the morning but I never forget the cup of coffee. (Your word verification is 'sappe' and you are never sappy!)