Monday, November 19, 2012

Gratitude Week




todAAy i AAM grAAteful & thAAnkful

that this is my favorite week of the year (since I've been in recovery).  We are quite busy at my recovery center.  We have our largest AA meeting of the year on Thanksgiving Day at noon, followed by a pot luck dinner.  There will be 150-200 people attending including some friends and family.  I am honored to be the co-chair of this meeting for the 5th straight year.  I love it.  I just take a wireless microphone around the room and ask people to share their gratitude for a couple of minutes.  We do this for about 50 minutes.  It's always very powerful.

Our AA Roundup for the GLBT community begins Thursday afternoon and runs through Sunday noon.  It's held in a local DoubleTree Hotel each year and will be attended by around 300 people.  There are workshops and speakers (most from around the country).  There is an original recovery-related play, written, produced, directed and performed by friends in recovery.  Last year I got to co-chair this event.  This year, I'm just an attendee.  Whew!

So, you see, I am really looking forward to this week and trying to keep my expectations to a minimum.  I know that what happens will be what is supposed to happen.

My laptop computer has been pronounced dead.  I may purchase one this week or wait until Black Friday (although I have other plans [see above]).   But I'm getting by just fine using the office computer at my recovery center.



The Pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts.  No Americans have been more impoverished than these who, nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving. 
~H.U. Westermayer

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your round-up is one of my favorite memories!

Unknown said...

One of my favourite quotes.

"Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough."
-- Oprah Winfrey

Syd said...

Sounds like a good week. Enjoy!