Friday, November 09, 2012

thinking out loud on my keyboard




todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

that I think like a manager, a leader (I guess).  Sometimes, when friends ask me for advice I tell them things that they don't want to hear.  Usually, it comes from instincts I had when I worked in the corporate world.  I think it's just because I'm able to look at their problem from an objective point of view.  Nothing special about me besides a little bit of common sense.  What am I trying to say here?  Obviously, there was something that came up about this that is making me think about it.  Whatever.

for Tradition Ten of Alcoholics Anonymous.  What do you know about it?  I want to hear your thoughts.

that I'm looking at a weekend with no particular plans.  I can't wait to see what happens.


Everyone must choose one of two pains: The pain of discipline or the pain of regret.  
~Jim Rohn

3 comments:

Mary Christine said...

You have a gentle way of saying things, even things that are hard to hear. I appreciate that about you and I bet others do too. That is a great attribute of a good leader.

I'm glad to know you Dave.

Mary Christine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Syd said...

I don't know about AA's tradition ten but I suspect that the intent is similar to Al-Anon:
No A.A. Group or member should ever, in such a way as to implicate A.A., express any opinion on outside controversial issues -- particularly those of politics, alcohol reform, or sectarian religion. The Alcoholics Anonymous Groups oppose no one. Concerning such matters they can express no views whatever.

In Al-Anon, it means that we don't discuss politics, religion, or other outside issues in meetings or as a representative of Al-Anon. In meetings, someone will say "That's an outside issue" if someone starts to talk about religion. I have heard people start talking about psychiatric care at meetings and even about AA, only to be told those are outside issues. Politics has inserted itself into every facet of life, but the rooms are safe from that because of this tradition. It is an outside issue. Just my take on it.