In conversation yesterday, I was reminded of some of my behavior during my college days. How did I ever graduate? (keep in mind that I was there to get a degree in Health & Physical Education)
East Texas, 1974, 1975 (age 20-21)
I attended a university of 11,000 students in a town of 25,000 residents. The school was nestled in the piney woods of east Texas, surrounded by many farms and small lakes. I was already drinking alcoholically every day, although I never went to class drunk. I did, however, often attend class high on marijuana. I was almost always high on marijuana. Morning and night.
One weekend, at the apartment of a drinking buddy, I was offered to partake in the consumption of mushrooms. They grew wild on farms and these had been picked from a local pasture.
The friend prepared the mushrooms by mixing them in a blender in the kitchen. Then poured the liquid into a glass. Poof! Ready to drink.
I drank. Arghhhhh. Ewwwwwwwwwwww! The most awful taste of anything I'd ever had. They said to keep drinking. I kept drinking. The whole glass.
The high was immediate. Strong. Very strong. Speed. Amphetamine. Almost a psychedelic high, my brain becoming separate from my body. For an hour or two.
I did this a few more times but the taste couldn't be overcome. We tried to disguise it with flavors, but it was always there. So I stopped doing mushrooms.
Next came the aerosols.