Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Whelmed

I gotta be honest with you guys.

There are days when I sit down to write my Gratitude list and I can't think of a damn thing to write. I try to list things I have not listed previously. You know, something new. Sometimes, I'll just say fuck it leave it and come back later to try again. Other times, I force myself to come up with stuff. Things that are not in the front of my mind. At those times, it feels almost overwhelming. Today, I'm neither overwhelmed nor underwhelmed. I'm just whelmed.

But maybe that's why I do these lists. Because they make me think, sometimes, very, very hard. Hey, that's a lot of progress!


todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

for the keyboard which is attached to my CPU and magically transmits these words to people around the world in a matter of seconds

that, on second thought, there's nothing wrong with being grateful for the same thing many times

that my recovery is a result of surrender and not a cease-fire

for some gut-wrenching honesty at the noon meeting yesterday

that I get so much back from the AA program; so much more than I put into it

that we began our third reading of The Big Book at the 6:30am Eyes Wide Shut meeting; the first 2 readings took 16 months and 15 months, respectively (we read for about 30 minutes every Tuesday, then discuss)

to witness growth and maturing in someone who had a rough start in recovery

for our newest recovery blogger, T. Drop by and say hello to her down under.

that tomorrow is HNT and I'm sure all of you will be participating
(hint, hint)

for a relatively mild and wet summer here in Houston -- so far

YOUR HIGHER POWER MAKES YOUR LIFE UNCOMFORTABLE WHEN IT'S TIME FOR YOU TO CHANGE.
Denial Is Not a River in Egypt


10 comments:

Unknown said...

My gratitude list seems the same the majority of the time. It is narrowed down to the most important things in my life. I also like to add the simple mindless things I am grateful for. I do get the "whelmed" feeling and do just what you said. Have a great 24 dAAve ;)

Mary Christine said...

I usually say I am "whelmed", so yesterday at work when I said I was "overwhelmed", a co-worker said "you mean 'whelmed'" and I had to say NO, i mean OVERwhelmed.

Glad you linked to T, I was going to do that...

Scott W said...

Thanks for being consistent, Dave.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Speakink of Denial..

Have you been down the Nile?

I'll bet you have.

I have.

Happy Hump Day. Looking forward to your next Half NAAkid concoction!

Gooey Munster said...

Repetition is good for people like us. Repetition is good for people like us. Repetition is good for people like us. Repetition is good for people like us. Repetition is good for people like us.

dAAve said...

gwen--thanks, i will
MC-- you will
scott w-- i can't help it
mr. h.k.-- yes
sober chick--yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes

Scott M. Frey said...

dAAve, a can really relate... sometimes I really have to make myself dig for some gratitude, but after all, that's the point... Thanks for the post, go me thinkin... I will go check out T

Anonymous said...

sometimes I have to really think and concentrate on my gratitude too... thanks for leading me to t happy hump day

Shannon said...

right on Daave good stuff... all of it.. and thanks for pointing us to T hugs

Daily Piglet said...

I love your honesty.