Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Feeling Real

One of my favorite places to have the pleasure of working was the island nation of Malta. Situated in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea southwest of Sicily, it has a long history of political neutrality. The people are amongst the friendliest I've ever met. Anywhere.
The movie "Popeye" was filmed there and this picture is the village constructed for the movie set. It remains standing as a tourist attraction.

DID YOU REALIZE... all the cartoon characters in POPEYE had eating disorders?

todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

that I finally remembered to use one of the tools in my recovery tool box yesterday -- that I can start my day over at any time -- and I had to use that tool twice!

that it's easy to see my own faults as I look at those of others

for a life that has become pretty much drama-free -- until others import it

that enforcing my own personal boundaries requires integrity

to watch my friend Boston become a different person right before my very eyes

to live in such a changing world

that tomorrow is hAAlf nAAked thursdAAy and many of you will participate

Happiness is a thing to be practiced, like the violin.
-John Lubbock

12 comments:

Scott M. Frey said...

that's one of the only great things about drama... if I want it in my life, I have to download it... I don't have to download it, it's up to me...

Malta, wow so dAAve, what exaclty did you do for work if I may ask, that took you to such kool places around the world?

Scott W said...

Popeye was brilliant. Our hometown gal, Shelly Duvall, perfect as Olive Oyl.

Popeye-health food nut, milk and spinach
Olive Oyl-bulemic &/or anorexic
Brutus/Bluto-steroid use, stealing girlfriends
J. Wellington Wimpy-overeater and debtor/liar
Swee'Pea-too young to eat solids
Eugene the Jeep-magical, did he eat?
Castor Oyl-Olive's brither-?
Sea Hag-?
Rough House-cook
Poopdeck Pappy-Popeye's father-?
Alice the Goon-?
Pipeye, Pupeye, Poopeye, Peepeye (Popeye's identical nephews)-?
Plus other minor characters...

Mary Christine said...

I will gladly pay you Thursday for a hamburger today. hmmmm. hamburger...

Jonathan29 said...

Toolbox...that's on my list of things to do.

Unknown said...

I love to read things like that. Especially about the eating disorders in the toon. That is sooo funny ;D

Dave I really admire the fact that you are so traveled. It is one of those things in my life that I hope I will be able to do. My parents use to own a travel biz. My brother in Co. has traveled the world. He started in HS and then in college as a chaperon for the HS trips. I blew my chance because of my drinking. Now I will have to wait and see if it is one day in the cards for me. If so Malta looks very coooool.

Have a great day ;)

Gooey Munster said...

"Everything is Food Food Food . . . "

OMG Dave, this is a great post. I LOVE POPEYE, I have the soundtrack on my iPOD and the DVD at home.

DID YOU REALIZE... all the cartoon characters in POPEYE had eating disorders?

Hmmm, I wonder is why I can relate to them all . . .

Thanks for sharing your past travels, most amazing.

Anonymous said...

they sure did!
I cant believe it! WOW
LOL
good stuff daave...

Anonymous said...

that anonymous was me shannon Blogger wont let me log in???

Anonymous said...

you know, now that i think about it i don't have very much drama in my life, either. it's been really nice. i'm not ready for a relationship yet, and still won't be in a couple months when i get my year. part of me is afraid of dating again b/c it's brought so much drama in my life in the past. i think i'm doing just fine w/out it right now. but someday...

lash505 said...

Wait I never saw olive oil eat anything. "download dave" new nickname.

Alcoholic Brain said...

dAAve, you blog always makes me feel better. I'm glad your here. You have an interesting job too!!

Anonymous said...

I think that's my favorite thing about sobriety right now--my life is very boring! Funny how a drama-free life can be so great...