Friday, December 29, 2006

Milestones 2006

I am grAAteful & thAAnkful ...

It was a very growth-oriented year for this recovering alcoholic. These are my highlights for 2006, both good and not-so-good.

FEBRUARY - my sister and I transferred our mother from a nursing rehab center to a more permanent and comprehensive nursing facility with a private room

MAY - a simple, one-hour breakfast meeting with my sponsor whereupon he said just what I needed to hear about Rule 62 - Don't Take Yourself Too Seriously. He asked me to write what that statement meant to me. The thoughts that my writing produced led me to do some travelling; basically, getting out of my 3-year-old comfort zone. This led to more journey's outside of the box.

JUNE - I sold my Mom's home (my childhood home) which my parents designed and had built in 1962. It took me 3 months to throw away and/or distribute 4+ decades of memories.

JUNE - Scott W. and I took a 3-day trip to New York City. My first-ever time there; Scott used to live there (many years ago). We got to meet JJ.

JUNE - I was re-elected to the Board of Directors of Lambda Center as Secretary-Elect. In January, I become Secretary until January 2008.

AUGUST - After an absence of 2 years and 9 months, Hayden came to visit for 25 days. Almost as soon as he arrived, we both knew instinctively that this was where he is supposed to be. We both knew that we were doomed supposed to be together. We made that committment.

SEPTEMBER - I celebrated my 3rd year of adult life without alcohol.

SEPTEMBER - Rodney and I went to NYC for 5 days. This time, I was the veteran.

OCTOBER - After reading "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking", I became a non-smoker on 10/10/06. This (hopefully) ended a 36-year, three pack-per-day smoking habit.

DECEMBER - Hayden returned to Houston for the holidays and a 3-week visit.

DECEMBER - I began the year with one AA sponsee. I end the year with three.

Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living, the other helps you make a life.
-Sandra Carey


14 comments:

Recovery Road London said...

A good year all in all. And jolly good for you.

Pammie said...

that was a great read for me this morning Dave....you laid out a map of steady growth and change. thanks

Mary Christine said...

Such a year! Glad to have read about a lot of this throughout the year. Thanks for including us on your journey.

JJ said...

Great post! Always positive! Hi Hayden.
JJ

My adventures said...

what a year!!! any travel plans this coming year???

Scott W said...

No, thank you!

Redhead Gal said...

That is a year of much growth, dAAve. I wish you many blessings in 2007.

Sunshine said...

What a fantastic year! Thank you for sharing your experiences with us here in blogland!

Happy New Year to you and Hayden!

Anna said...

Sounds like a wonderful year for you.

Carly said...

Right on, Dave. Blessings to you.

Scott M. Frey said...

sounds like another awesome year in the life of dAAve... I'd say you've got something good to offer if you tripled your stable of sponsees this year!

Mike said...

You left out the part about helping to keep all of us sober..

Thanks for being....

lash505 said...

Very nice post I love the recap.

Shannon said...

what a year! it was good to reminisce with you