Sunday, August 24, 2008

Perspective

A friend sent this to me a few days ago, knowing the ordeal I just endured with my Mom.


It was a busy morning, about 8:30, when an elderly gentleman in his 80s arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb. He said he was in a hurry as he had an appointment at 9:00. I took his vital signs and had him take a seat, knowing it would be over an hour before someone would to able to see him. I saw him looking at his watch and decided since I was not busy with another patient, I would evaluate his wound. On examining it I saw it was well healed, so I talked to one of the doctors and got the needed supplies to remove his sutures and redress his wound.

While taking care of his wound, I asked him if he had another doctor's appointment this morning, as he was in such a hurry.

The gentleman told me no, that he needed to go to the nursing home to eat breakfast with his wife. I inquired as to her health. He told me that she had been there for a while, ss she is a victim of Alzheimer's disease.

As we talked, I asked if she would be upset if he was a bit late. He replied that she no longer knew who he was, that she had not recognized him in five years now.

I was surprised and asked him, 'And you still go every morning, even though she doesn't know who you are?'

He smiled as he patted my hand and said, 'She doesn't know me but I still know who she is.'

I had to hold back tears as he left, I had goose bumps on my arm and thought, 'That is the kind of love I want in my life. True love is neither physical nor romantic. True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be. Peace is seeing a sunset and knowing who to thank. The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
I hope you share this with someone you care about, I just did. Life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain.

The road to success is not straight. There is a curve called Failure, a loop called Confusion, speed bumps called Friends, red lights called Enemies, caution lights called Family. You will have flats called Jobs..

But, if you have a spare called Determination, an engine called Perseverance, insurance called Faith, a driver called Almighty God, you will make it to a place called Success.

9 comments:

Mary Christine said...

I stayed at my father's bedside for months when he didn't know who I was. I am amazed at the number of people who think it is time to stop visiting when they no longer know who you are. LIke that gentleman so eloquently said - he knows!

You always were there for your mom and you are a good son.

Bill said...

Very, very nice. Thanks for letting us all have this.

My adventures said...

Very Nice. I see that every week with my volunteer work with the Alzheimer's Group. It's what made me re-examine what love really is, watching my friend take care of her husband. I've never had that but hope to one day!!

Todd HellsKitchen said...

There's also a subway stop to Success. It's on the A line.

Anonymous said...

True Love like that...I wonder, is it as rare as we're asked to believe?

Don't know, don't know. The answer might be "Blowin' in the Wind".

But I AM meeting people on this blog community who have found it...in themselves. For love is an out-pouring, as also it is receiving.

Zanejabbers said...

WOW! I love the last sentence. Thanks.

Abc said...

Wow. I am a first time visitor and was so pleasantly suprised about what I've found.

Tabitha.Montgomery said...

You never lost me :)
xo

Syd said...

That was inspirational. It is the type of love that one is lucky to find. Thanks for sharing.