Monday, November 28, 2011

Exhausted, but very satisfied



todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

for 3 of the best days I've had since I got sober in 2003.  I was Co-Chairperson of the 2011 Houston Roundup, a 3 day conference of AA-related workshops, speakers from around the country (and Canada) and other recovery-related events.  It was a year-long love affair as we began the planning back in January.  By March, we had 21 committee chairs and we were off and running.
I was too busy helping to extinguish little fires (unexpected problems) to attend the workshops.  I tried but each time was pulled out to go help with something.  I did get to attend all of our speaker meetings and they were, of course, fabulous.
We had 310 registered participants and 54 of those got to attend on financial scholarhips.  We raised money all year long by holding fundraisers and unless I'm mistaken, we have finished with a small surplus.  This will be donated after ensuring a small prudent reserve.

I am again reminded of the importance of the "WE" of the program.  I can't stay sober by myself and I can't chair a large event by myself.  It takes a village to raise this 57 year-old man and I'm just fine with that.
Just smiling goes a long way toward making you feel better about life.
And when you feel better about life, your life is better.
- Art Linkletter



5 comments:

steveroni said...

Art Linkletter! Loved the guy. Where are the 'Art Linkletters' today?

GOOD weekend. Takes a village. Yeah!

Pammie said...

I'm so happy for you! I've heard wonderful things about the Round Up this year.

Syd said...

Dave, I am so glad that it all came together and was a success. It is a "WE" program.

Mary Christine said...

This post made me smile. You are an inspirational man Dave.

Carol said...

Exhausted but satisfied. My mind runs amuck. Have you been to amuck? Sorry, taking the low road. Glad it all came together.