Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Let me hear from you ...



todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

for this little tool -- One of my mentors declares that he is always in acceptance of whatever may happen in an AA meeting.  He says they are God's meeting and it's his job to just sit and observe.  He shares if asked.  But if a meeting is being run the "wrong" way or is something else is happening that isn't right, my friend just observes.  Silently. 
I have learned to do the same thing.  It can be painful to watch a chairperson have a meltdown during a meeting or to crosstalk or say otherwise inappropriate words.  But it's not my job to correct the situation.  If I do, then I am saying I know what's best for the group and I'll soon owe the group an amends.

Agree?
Disagree?
Discuss ...........

Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer.  
~Author Unknown

4 comments:

Mary Christine said...

I agree to a certain extent. But I have seen some ridiculous situations in meetings and I think sometimes someone needs to step in. I don't like to be the one, but sometimes I am the only one who will.

Like the meeting where the chair decided we should all do that "trust" thing where we fall backwards and let our pal catch us.

Or the time the topic of the meeting was "Is Tiger Woods really a sex addict?"

There is usually a diplomatic way to direct things back to being an AA meeting for someone who might actually need one. I believe it is our responsibility to do so - after we're sober for a while.

My opinion - and you asked for it!

member #1128 said...

This is the 2nd message. The 1st one got lost some how. Alot of meetings I don't go to anymore. They've become some kind of $1 an hour group therapy. I'm not dependant on meetings or sponsors so I could care less how the meeting is run. I go to bring something and give back. I can't give back on my couch at home. This once was a spiritual program and now has become a talking and listening cure. The only cure is a spiritual awakening and continued consious contact with God. That's the message I try to bring, but how do you tell someone that? Alot of the old timers are running these meetings, and they are sharing what worked for them which is just don't drink and go to meetings, the 5 suggestions, slogan after slogan. I really think that most of them are not real alkies. I think they were just problem drinkers who stopped drinking and their problems went away. A real alkies problems get worse when they stop drinking. I agree with you and your mentor. We are not God. God is at those meetings too. I got to have faith that He will take care of them. I have to do my part and that's practice these principlces in all my affairs. Whenever I'm disturbed it's not them it's me. Peace

Gavin said...

this is where I have to let the asshole(s) be my teacher(s) and not think I have to fix anything lest I become one of them...the difference between me and God is God never pretends to be me.

Syd said...

I don't try to control but go to meetings that are healthy and utilize the traditions. It's not my job to be the police.