Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Ouch! My shoulder hurts.




todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

for serenity.  I have a condition called acute rotator cuff tendinitis which has flared up like never before.  I went to the doctor yesterday because the night before I could not sleep for more than a few minutes at a time due to the pain.  I also experienced heavy sweating during the night.  So this was a new doctor (to me) because my regular doctor is out of town.  After an exam and some questions and answers, he not only wanted an x-ray, but prescribed me some Vicodin for the pain.  Now, please understand that while I am an alcoholic, I rarely used pills or narcotics after the age of 18.  I reminded the doctor that I am an alcoholic-in-recovery (it should have been in my chart somewhere) and he thanked me for mentioning that.  He asked me when my sobriety date is; after I told him, he told me his sobriety date which was 3 months after my date, back in 2003.  We chuckled over this and he told me to please throw away the pain medication if it proved to be a trigger. Of course, I said I would.

Later in the day, I realized that if they were a trigger, I might not want to throw them away.  But I've told a few people close to me that I'm taking them, just so I will be more accountable.

I'm also going to be taking a strict regimen of Cortisone tablets to help the healing with the shoulder.  Hopefully, I'll get the results of the lab work and the x-ray later this morning.  My mind tells me that I have some incurable cancer and will be in hospice by 5pm.  If that is the case, I may have to retire this blog.  Otherwise I'll report back to you tomorrow.


He who has made a thousand things and he who has made none, both feel the same desire:  to make something. 
~Antonio Porchia

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon, Dave

Mary Christine said...

Oh Dave, I am so sorry to hear about your shoulder. Please take care and follow doctor's orders. So cool that your doc is also sober.

Syd said...

Terrible pain. I remember how it was. I knew it was my rotator cuff because of the pain at night. Take care, my friend.