Monday, January 03, 2005

A.A. Tool Box

If you're not an alcoholic or addict, you may not appreciate this. If you are, you certainly won't appreciate this if you haven't been exposed to a recovery program.

This is my TOOL BOX. In short, these are the "things" I do / the methods I have at my immediate disposal to keep my addiciton in remission. When necessary, or as needed, I use these "tools" in my tool box to help curb my appetite to drink or to continue in my never-ending attempt to have inner peace and serenity in my life. I can use any of them any time I need 'em, as often as I need 'em. My goal is to use all of these, all day and every day, without even having to think about it. I was not aware of these things until the age of 49. There is term for not having this inventory in one's box; it's called spiritually bankrupt.

· Go to an AA meeting
· Steps 1 – 12 (see "Alcoholics Anonymous")
· The Serenity Prayer
· The Twelve Principles of A.A.
1. Honesty
2. Hope
3. Faith
4. Courage
5. Integrity
6. Willingness
7. Humility
8. Brotherly Love
9. Discipline
10. Perseverance
11. Awareness of God
12. Service
· Call my sponsor or another person in recovery
· Meet with my sponsor as regularly as possible
· Change people, places and things as necessary
· My sobriety is my priority above all else
· The chip in my pocket
· Beware of H.A.L.T. (hungry, angry, lonely, tired)
· Pause when agitated
· Prayer
· Go to an AA meeting
· Meditate
· Read the literature
· Service work and working with other alcohokcs
· Remember what got me here
· Forgive
· Let it go
· Spend time alone
· Keep it simple
· Think before using pen or keyboard
· Do not take other people’s inventory
· Try not to judge others
· Go to an AA meeting
· Don’t give up
· Avoid expectations
· Journal or write
· Gratitude list
· Be compassionate and tolerant
· Live and let live
· Remember that some others are sicker than I am
· Know that most people (in recovery) are trying their best
· Don’t take the bait
· Go to an AA meeting
· Do not turn down any reasonable request
· Where and when possible, avoid stressful situations
· This too shall pass
· Give out and collect phone numbers
· Meet and greet people I don’t know
· Be consistent

1 comment:

Scott W said...

You listed more than once to go to a meeting. You and I have discussed this many times, meeting makers make it. I did not like hearing that when I came into the program the first time. Taking action was hard for me. I now know one thing, those who stop going to meetings are at a greater risk of using alcohol or drugs again, and I do not want to be one of those. Thanks for helping me get out of myself yesterday.