Sunday, January 09, 2005

When it happened

When: Thursday, September 4, 2003 @ 1:00pm CST
Where: Lambda Center, Houston, Texas
What: My Spititual Awakening

Why: Because I was willing to listen, for 3 months, to the messages given to me by others who had experienced what I had now come to experience. Because I finally had enough alcohol intake. Because it couldn't get any worse. Because I had now come to a complete incomprehensible demorilaztion. Because I was willing to let God (as I understood Him) take away my lifelong craving and obsession for alcohol.

All I had to do, at that time, was ask.

And it happened.

It was the single most incredible moment of my lifetime. It lasted no more than 1 second, probably not that long. There are not sufficient words in my vocabulary to describe what happened, but I liken it to a bolt of thunder from above. My body jolted, my mind was clear. I knew, I absolutely knew, at that moment in time, that I would never have to feel this way again. I knew that I would never need or crave or obsess about alcohol again. It was gone - totally and completely. My life changed in that moment, forever. I became a different person at that moment. God (as I understand Him) entered my life, healed my illness and I knew that as long as I kept God (as I understand Him) in my life, that He would forever keep that illness at bay.

I was no longer spiritually bankrupt.

This was my spiritual awakening.

1 comment:

Mikey said...

Awesome. Literally. Hopefully, through your posts regarding your own faith, your readers will understand more about how faith operates in the real world, despite our preconceptions and complaints (often valid) about "organized religion". It is sad that we let such secondary complaints interfere with what is primary, our personal relationship with our Creator. Keep up the great work!