Sunday, January 23, 2005

Keep it Simple

Alcoholics Anonymous is a Spiritual program. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with religion. Early on in my AA career, I heard someone say,

"RELIGION IS FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT WANT TO GO TO HELL. SPIRITUALITY IS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE ALREADY BEEN THERE."

These few simple words were tremendous help to me as I wanted nothing to do with religion. All I needed to do was instill in myself the concept of a Higher Power; something which was greater than myself. A bunch of sober alkies told me that if I could do that and just not drink for 24 hours at a time, my life would change drastically. They said it was that simple.

I had some pretty serious doubts. By nature, I am a cynic. But here were dozens of people, some with stories worse than mine, who had done just that and were able to live a good life - sober. They told me stories of thousands who had done the same.

They freely gave me their Experience, Strength and Hope. They had packaged their lives, without alcohol, into twenty-four hour segments, during which they practice a few principles to the best of their abilities.

Now I know that, while it isn't always easy, if I keep it simple, it works.

It really does.

No comments: