Thursday, January 27, 2005

The London Taxi

London taxi 1

Living in Houston, you gotta have a car. Oh, we have public transport, but Houston is so spread out that if one needs to get across town by bus, it could take a couple of hours. Most people here have a car, or two or three.

When I drank booze, I would sometimes take a taxi or just walk if it wasn't too far.

When I lived in London though, taxis were "the thing."

The London taxi or Black Cab as they are affectionately known, is a most unique form of transport. There is a history. They are adequately comfortable and roomy with inside space for some luggage. I loved using the taxis to get around if I wasn't taking the "tube", or London Underground. London is not well laid-out, as far as the street patterns ar concerned. One street becomes another with no warning, there are short streets, mews, that may be only 50 yards long but have many addresses. To get from "A" to "B" may require 10, 15 or 20 turns. As well as I know the city, I never drove there and never wanted to. The London taxi driver has"the knowledge." That's what it's called. Without the knowledge, a driver cannot get licensed to drive a London taxi. It can take years of waiting, studying and practice to pass the exams. The drivers are professional, courteous and can chat up a storm if you let them. If you're quiet, they can be quiet too.

In recent years, they began selling advertising space on the cars. I know that business is business but it somehow takes away from the charm of the Black Cab.

I never had a bad experience in a London taxi. And they always knew the way from A to B. Well, almost always.

No comments: