Thursday, May 05, 2005

The Last 10 Years (part IV)

After 5 years of not working, I was hired to do what I had always done. It was so easy and provided a lot of drinking time. It would eventually take me to my alcoholic bottom. But if I had known that, I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Going back to work meant no more umpiring. There was too much clash of schedules. No big deal. For some months, my new company worked me locally, in the Houston-Galveston area. Soon, however, I found myself in Egypt. For the next 4 ½ years they sent me all over Africa and the UK. Sound familiar? I actually got to return to old haunts from the early 90’s and in many places, the bartenders remembered me. Senegal, Nigeria, Gabon and South Africa became old friends revisited.

I must have spent the most time in Dakar, Senegal. I have now been there eight times, totaling about 2 years of my life. In all of these places, I walked a lot. Not much driving unless necessary. And for a white guy, that could be dangerous. So I often would recruit an unofficial bodyguard. From a bar, of course. In Dakar, I found my favorite “assistant”, who provided both protection on the streets and sex in bed. As long as I bought the beer, he was mine.

More years went by. I did my job, they paid me well and I saved almost all of it. I got to stay in London from time to time, at my favorite gay hotel which is well-known for its late night sexual activities. The small basement bar stays open all night as long as there is a customer. Sweet! Sex and booze; that’s what I lived for.

In June 2002, they sent me to Trinidad & Tobago. I had been to this small Caribbean island once before, in 1988 for 4 months. I loved it then and always wanted to return. My favorite bar in the world was there, of course. And the men were scrumptious.

I arrived late at night, checked in at the hotel, then went directly to the bar, just a 2 minute walk from the hotel I had asked to stay in. What a coincidence. That’s what previous experience gets you. Within a few minutes, I met a guy who was absolutely gorgeous, funny and available. He was mine.

His name was Hayden. This man would change my life forever.

to be continued

2 comments:

Grace said...

I am fascinated but am holding proper comment until I read the last episode :-)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your sobriety. You have been given a great gift. I really like how you are sharing it with others.

Live and let live.