Sunday, February 19, 2006

Humility

"For thousands of years we have been demanding more than our share of security, prestige, and romance. When we seemed to be succeeding, we drank to dream still greater dreams. When we were frustrated, even in part, we drank for oblivion. Never was there enough of what we thought we wanted.

In all these strivings, so many of them well-intentioned, our crippling handicap had been our lack of humility."


Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, page 71

Humility is a tough proposition for this alcoholic. It's something I never knew anything about. Throughout most of my life, I considered myself a modest kind of guy. I rarely went out of my way to take credit for my actions and behaviours. When I came into the rooms of AA and heard about humility, I thought it no big deal. With a little more sober time under my belt, I continue to learn how little I know.

I love the definition that the 12 & 12 gives for humility:

"To those who have made progress in AA, it amounts to a clear recognition of what and who we really are, followed by a sincere attempt to become what we could be."

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, page 58

2 comments:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Hmmmmm. Humility: What a concept!

JJ said...

Happy Sunday bro.
I see you,
JJ