Monday, February 13, 2006

Living the Steps of AA

I could not stop drinking by myself. I know that to be true because I tried. I tried many ways with a lot of motivation behind me. Couldn't stop. Stopping never lasted more than a day.

After 100+ meetings at Alcoholics Anonymous I heard the things I needed to hear. I read the things I need to read. And I was able to form a concept of a Higher Power. Then, and only then, was I able to muster the Courage to ask that Higher Power for help.

That is when I stopped drinking.

Today, 2 1/2 years later, I try my best to live by the 12 steps of AA. I use those steps NOT to treat my alcoholism. I use the steps of AA to treat my sobriety. I knew how to live drunk. I don't know how to live sober.

todAAy, i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

that I remained sober throughout the weekend without once having a thought about drinking alcohol

that my mother turns 83 later this week

that she has accepted her health problems with grace and dignity

for slow progress made with the disposition of my Mom's home; this is very definitely a one day at a time project

for friends who are there to help me if only I ask

for the Hurricane Katrina evacuees who have made new lives for themselves in quietly finding employment and housing without waiting for the government to give it all to them

that I actually accepted an invitation to go to a private party over the weekend, I rarely do these things and I had a very nice time

for 7 other volunteers who helped do some much-needed cleaning at Lambda, our recovery center

for logistical and organizational progress made for our upcoming fundraiser

that my Higher Power makes my new life possible for me through my sobriety

Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
-Unknown

8 comments:

Unknown said...

dead on.

JJ said...

fundraiser?

Shannon said...

well sounds like a busy weekend, did you meet new people at the party?

Mary Christine said...

I can't change me... only God can change me.

dAAve said...

JJ - we do a lot of fundraisers at Lambda

Shannon - I went with a good friend in recovery / actually the party was at a well-known Houston TV weatherman's home and it was full of gay men

Anonymous said...

Good design!
[url=http://axkdkfei.com/swii/fhlu.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://mpqnrsrv.com/twww/rbgj.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://axkdkfei.com/swii/fhlu.html | http://kamjnkkb.com/oftg/sfdj.html