Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Meet Schpeller

Meet Schpeller, my pet (peeve). I suppose I'm just an old fart, but whatever happened to spelling correctly? I understand the jargon of those who wish to abbreviate or modify words as it may apply to their usage in internet profiles, chat rooms, etc... Dat's OK, no prob.

I am talking about misspelled words in the media (television adverts, bottom-of-the-screen-tickers, newspapers, magazines). I am talking about misspelled words on job resumes / CV's. I am talking about misspelled words in student reports and papers. I am talking about misspelled words on job applications, legal papers and official government documents. Surely this is only a small portion of possible examples. Are most people stupid? Are they just lazy and don't care? Do people assume that others will be able to figure out what they are trying to write?

It seems to me that as we continue through this very competitive world, any edge we can get is needed, as long as it's legal and moral. Why do so many seem to believe that the proper use of the language does not matter? It does.

A man left work one Friday afternoon. But, being payday, instead of going home, he stayed out the entire weekend partying with the boys and spending his entire paycheck. When he finally appeared at home, Sunday night, he was confronted by a very angry wife and was barraged for nearly two hours with a tirade befitting his actions. Finally his wife stopped the nagging and simply said to him, “How would you like it if you didn’t see me for two or three days?” To which he replied, “That would be fine with me.” Monday went by and he didn’t see his wife. Tuesday and Wednesday came and went with the same results. On Thursday, the swelling went down just enough where he could see her a little out of the corner of his left eye.

Santa


Today is the first day of winter and the shortest day of the year. Just so you'll know.


No comments: