Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Commitment

Commitment is a big word. Oddly enough, it is nowhere to be found in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. hmmmmmmm...

Commitment means responsibility. It means integrity. In my case, it means Doing Whatever It Takes.

During my drinking days, I was completely committed to my disease. With no conscious effort, my whole life revolved around my commitment to being drunk. As drunk as the situation would allow, and then some.

Today my commitment is to staying sober. I will be the first to admit that it takes a very conscious effort to Do Whatever It Takes. While I have no desire to have an alcoholic drink, I have to remain in total commitment to ensure that doesn't happen. That is because I am an alcoholic and drinking is a natural thing for me to do. There is no fight, no urge, no compulsion or craving. That was taken away by my Higher Power. But that only happened because I made a commitment to that Higher Power. To be honest. To believe. To have faith.

Other things in life require commitment as well. Relationships with people can be the most difficult. A marriage or partnership with a significant-other requires a total commitment by both involved. When that commitment does not exist, major problems will soon follow.

To be successful and happy at one's career, commitment is necessary. Pets require a commitment.

It all falls back to 2 vital concepts - responsibility and integrity. Without those, there can be no real COMMITMENT.

No comments: