Monday, February 21, 2005

Strike Three!

Although I am gay, I have always been a huge fan of baseball. Growing up and living in Houston, my team was The Astros.

While in college in 1975, I began umpiring locally to make some spending money. This was in Nacogdoches, Texas and all of my games were Junior College and High School level. I really got into it and became involved extensively not only in the game itself, but in the administration of the local umpiring chapter. After 2 years, I graduated from college and attempted to "go pro".

In January 1977, I attended the Al Somers School of Umpires. This has now become the Harry Wendlestedt Umpire School. Back in '77, Harry was the chief instructor at the school and was a veteran major league ump at that time. He eventually spent about 30 years in the major leagues before retiring a few years ago.

Umps 1977
Dick Stello (major league ump), myself and
Harry Wendelstedt February 1977, Daytona Beach, FL

There are only 2 professional umpire schools in the country, both in Florida. A professional ump goes through the same type career that a ball player does. Few positions are available each season and they are sent to the minor leagues, where a majority dwell for their careers. The small percentage who make it to the major leagues do so after several years of making their way to the top. I was not chosen to go to the minors but gained invaluable baseball experience and knowledge during that training.

I went back to Houston and umpired until 1981 when my job forced me to hang it up. Later, when my job situation changed I umpired again from 1994 - 1997. I hung it up for good then. I always loved officiating the game. When I go to Astros games, I watch the umpires as much as I watch the game itself. It is a very intricate and exacting skill and requires a lot of expertise in a number of areas. Not the least of which is dealing with some very interesting personalities.

Umpiring 1978
Me at work in Houston, 1978

1 comment:

Scott W said...

I am way too gay to understand.