Thursday, February 17, 2005

Happy Birthday, MOM !!

Today is the 43rd anniversary of my MOM's 39th birthday.

Pat was born February 17, 1923 in a home in Houston, Texas. In The Heights. It was a suburb of the big city then; a city of about 100,000 inhabitants. The house in which she was born is still standing although it's been remodeled a few times. Today its worth is over $300K, back then its value was about $4K.

I love her soooo much - she's ALWAYS been there for me. I wish I could say the same about me for her, but my alcoholism prevented that at times.

She was a Den Mother when I was a cub scout. She was active in the school PTA til I got to High School. She brought me up in the Methodist Church, giving me that exposure. But she never insisted that I become religous. She always allowed me the opportunity to make my own choices. And to make my own mistakes.

When I came out, she supported me. She's been friends with all the queens I've had the nerve to introduce to her. And she's certainly supported me in my new life of sobriety.

She was there when I lost jobs, when I lost lovers. Never judgemental, just supportive.

Isn't that the way it's supposed to be?

Pat - Jan 1985
Pat - 1985

Oct 1992
Pat & Dave - 1992

Hopefully, tomorrow, I will have a pic to post of today's birthday party.

No comments: