Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Consistency

Somebody once told me, "The biggest problem with you, Dave, is that one minute you're there. And the next minute, you're there."

From an early age, maybe 5 or 6 years old, I read the newspaper every day. It was delivered back then on our doorstep and I'd read it before going to school. Part of my morning ritual. I continued to read the paper until just a few years ago. I stopped reading it because (1) it's 90% advertisements and I can't find the stories between the ads (2) I finally learned that I can't trust anything the media prints (3) I spend too much time on the internet (not reading news) (4) I have simply lost interest. But I digress.

The 6 years I ran track, I worked out 7 days a week. Without fail.

Throughout high school and college, I was a "C+" student. Rarely made an "A" or an "F".

When I was a baseball umpire, I practiced my techniques endlessly so that every "call" I made was always with the same, precise motions. I was known as a pitchers umpire; ie: I was consistent with my strike zone and it was big. I showed up at games 45 minutes early.

When I drank, I drank every day. Every night. The only exceptions were when those times arose that I had to be at work or otherwise functional, without alcohol.

I drink coffee every morning. For the past 40 years.

In sobriety, I try to be consistent. I go to pretty much the same 16 meetings each week. I go early to be part of the fellowship. I stay late for the same reason.

So I suppose you could call me Anal-Retentive. But at least I am CONSISTENT about it.

No comments: