Monday, April 18, 2005

Beating a Dead Horse to Death

I sit on 2 Boards of Directors. Both are for not-for-profit corporations (that's important here). Before my sobriety, no one ever asked or suggested that I be included on any type of position like this.

Without going into detail, I gotta tell you that I find it amazing how a small group of people can latch onto an issue and NEVER LET IT GO! Before both of these boards are issues that can and should be solved with a short discussion at one sitting. But noooooooooooo ...........

They take an issue, talk it to death, dissect it, throw it around the room, bounce it off the walls, stomp on it a few times to get it nice and dirty, then table it until next month. So next month comes, and the fun starts all over again but lasts a little longer because they've had more time to think about different ways to present it. One of the boards has had the same burning issue since last summer. Almost a friggin' year. Still no closure.

Tonight, at a meeting, I had a scheduled agenda item for presentation. I put it out there and was done in approximately 45 seconds. Matter settled, right? The other 4 people took my clear and concise presentation and talked about it, dissected it, threw it around the room, bounced it off 2 walls, then stomped on it. Then, and only then, about 20 minutes later, did they concur that I had accomplished the task given to me.

So if you ever need to know how to drag a one-hour meeting into 3 hours, write me and I'll get back to you with a short story on dissection, throwing, bouncing, stomping and procrastination. You'll be worn out.

1 comment:

Jake McCafferty said...

Mo Udall once lamented that "everything has been said but not everyone has said it." My professional life is now filled with meetings on what should be discussed in future meetings. I, too, have served on a few civic organization boards -- and I feel your pain. Volunteering shouldn't be like work.

P.S. Enjoy the blog and have added it to my favorites.