Friday, April 15, 2005

Change (everything)

If you are in recovery from alcoholism or another deadly addiction, let's assume you are not practicing that addiction today. That's a HUGE change.

For me, there have been many other changes I've had to make since stopping drinking. I have completely changed my friends. I have stopped going to bars. I have dedicated myself to going to recovery meetings and trying to live the 12 steps. There are a bunch more changes I need to make, one day at a time.

What changes have you made, or what changes do you see in the near future that you need to make to enhance your sobriety? Comments ....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

alcoholic, hm?

let me guess. law student?

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Interesting post and comments.

I know just from a diet that I'm currently on that requires no alcohol, that I suddenly have an abundance of free time on my hands.

I need to find other healthy stuff to do that I enjoy... Otherwise boredom will take me back to the bar stool... or to the bagel place!

So, in answer to your question...Finding healthier activities to replace the old bad habits are the worst for me.

(Qualification: For the record, I'm not in AA myself, and don't consider myself to be an alcoholic... I'm just sayin')