Monday, April 25, 2005

Love, Tolerance & Life

I spent 10 seasons as a baseball umpire. Not Little League, but from the high-school and college level. And many semi-pro games involving guys in their 20's & 30's. In other words, adults. I had professional training at the finest academy in the world, in Florida. I bring this up because of something that happened yesterday which had nothing to do with baseball, or sports.

A board meeting of my AA recovery center.

It became a heated meeting (to say the least) when personalities became more important than principles. Part of the scope of the By-Laws of the incorporated center are to be guided by the Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous. The Twelfth Tradition states that we are to "put principles over personalities".

My baseball background sometimes helps me tremendously. It taught me to be quick-thinking and objective. I learned that it did not matter what team I liked or didn't like; I had to be totally objective. I can watch, or listen, and make a decision based on an objective opinion. I had to make decisions that I didn't like but were the right ones to make. It was always about being fair. What's the right thing to do?

Some of those at the meeting left with some resentments. I can certainly understand those feelings. But in recovery (especially) I can't allow resentments in my life. I was able to leave with serenity in my heart and in my mind. I prayed last night for those who may have had trouble coming to terms with what happened.

I joked with someone after the meeting that maybe I'm not sober enough yet to be upset by it all. I love recovery!!

No comments: