Thursday, April 28, 2005

Too Close to Home

Last night. 11:30pm. I was awoken by a noise -- sirens.

I looked out of my 3rd story bedroom window and saw some fire trucks and other fire department vehicles and 2 police cars. Curiousity got the best of me, so I walked downstairs to get a better look. Immediately, my phone rang.

A good friend spoke, "Are you OK?"

"Oh. Hi. Sure I'm OK. What's up?"

He laughed a little. "I was driving by and saw all the fire trucks by your house. Just wanted to make sure you're OK." Now I was awake.

Turns out that around the corner from me, a group of townhomes was going up in smoke. No more than 300 yards from my window. The emergency vehicles had been on the scene since 10:45pm and I had slept through most of the action. Three-alarms, 12 fire trucks, 10 other Fire Department vehicles, about 10 police cars.

Fortunately, no one was hurt. One of the homeowners had to jump out of his second story window to safety, but he is OK. Three homes destroyed, but they can be replaced, with time.

I friggin' slept through it all. And I wasn't even passed out.

Fire at 600 Hawthorne april 05  1 Fire at 600 Hawthorne april 05  2

4 comments:

Grace said...

How awful for those that lodt their homes. Glad it wasnt you!

Scott W said...

DAVID, NO SMOKING IN BED!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Always knew you could sleep through anything, especially on trains!

Grace said...

There's just something about a man in a firemans uniform that does it for me.......sorry was just looking at the pics again. Send me to Hell?