Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Street Sweeping

At an AA meeting yesterday, the topic was Step 9.

"Made direct amends to such people, except when to do so would injure them or others"
When I completed my 4th and 5th steps, it was evident that I had many resentments during my life. I realized that I had an inability to let go of those resentments. I believe that this was one of my worst defects of character that needed to be "fixed." I began work on Steps 5 and 6 of AA. I continue to pray to God (as I understand Him) to remove my character defects. I shall do this always.
Then came Steps 8 and 9. Making amends.
I had 2 HUGE resentments in my life that I had not dealt with. It was time to do this. With the help and support of my sponsor, I found the courage to do just that. I made my amends, admitting where I was wrong; not just saying I was sorry. That's an important difference. When we say we're sorry, it gives us the loophole to make the same mistake again and then just say we're sorry again. When we own up to wrong behaviour, it shows us that we cannot continue to make the same mistake. So I dealt with these 2 issues and ...
VOILA !! They were gone.
The thought I had yesterday regarding Step 9 is that it gave me CLOSURE on these issues. I had finally cleaned up my side of the street. Not the other person's side, just mine. I am not responsible for them to do what is right.

No comments: