Monday, September 12, 2011

Alive & Kickin'

todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

for a really nice weekend, except for the weather (way too hot and dry)

for more chances to practice what I preach talk about

for boundaries in action

that I'm still alive.  The past month has seen a lot of death in my recovery environment.  Five people I know have died; (1) one [sober for 21 years] was murdered while on vacation in Australia (2) one [sober for 35 years] died of natural causes (3) one [sober for 27 years] died of leukemia (4) one [sober for 1 month] died from a fall at home
(5) one [not sober] died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound because he couldn't get sober. 
This morning, I'm going to the funeral of number 5.


Just stop it. Seriously.
Whatever it is. Just stop it.
If only for an hour, a day, a week.
Stop doing it long enough to get a glimpse
of what the change would actually look like.
- Mary Anne Radmacher



6 comments:

Pammie said...

damn dave.

Mary Christine said...

That funeral will be sobering today. I hate suicides the very most. I am sorry Dave.

Syd said...

I am sorry, Dave, for the loss of these people in your life. Take care of yourself today.

steveroni said...

The suicides hurt the most. It's called the suicidal path to recovery.

JeremyRT said...

I'm sorry for all your losses Dave, I'll keep you and your friends in my thoughts & prayers

Christina said...

Gosh damn, I am sorry. Sending you hugs and love.

:(