Tuesday, September 13, 2011

More IS revealed



todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

for those of you who like the 12 steps.  Here's something that was brought to our attention yesterday at a meeting about Step 4.  It's found on pages 66/67 of the Big Book.
We realized that the people who wronged us were perhaps spiritually sick.  Though we did not like their symptoms and the way these disturbed us, they, like ourselves, were sick too.  We asked God to help us show them the same tolerance, pity, and patience that we would cheerfully grant a sick friend.  When a person offended we said to ourselves, "This is a sick man.  How can I be helpful to him?  God save me from being angry.  Thy will be done."

As many times as I have read this and countless times talked about it with others, I never noticed the question, "How can I be helpful to him?"

Damn, I have so much work to do on me!


"Never mistake motion for action."—Ernest Hemingway

2 comments:

Syd said...

Every time I read the Big Book, I see something new. And maybe it is just what I needed to see.

Mary Christine said...

Yeah, it really never ends. ever. And that is the good news.