Monday, March 07, 2005

Insanity

I suppose there are many definitions and forms of insanity. In AA, we say that it is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Other abbreviated definitions might include:

-- extreme foolishness or senselessness
-- the inability to think straight
-- madness
-- lunacy
-- dementia
-- irrationality

I'm sure you can come up with other words to describe it. Whatever. This is my blog though.

Looking back, one of the more insane things I did when drinking (amongst many) was back in 1996. Due to lifelong neglect of personal dental hygeine in addition to a natural tendency towards weak gums, it became time to acquire dentures. I was fitted for the new set of teeth and it took about a month for them to be ready.

Finally, they arrived and it was time to just do it. My appointment was at 9am. The dentist gave the appropriate deadening shots which numbed/paralyzed the lower half of my face and head. A few minutes later, he began pulling teeth. One at a time. The lower ones came out very easily as the disease was worse on the lowers. Most of the uppers came out easy as well. There were 3 or 4 which took some extra pulling power, but they eventually came out too.

At 10am, it was done. Through. I had not one tooth in my head. The dentures were placed inside and they were a fine fit. I walked out of the office by 10:30am, new teeth in place and a little bleeding still happening. Well placed gauze soaked it up.

So what did this good alcoholic do? I drove directly (Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect Two-Hundred Dollars) to Griff's, my pub. Ordered my regular pint of Shiner Bock, but with one difference. "Helen, put a straw in it please!"

That, my friends, is fuckin' insane!

7 comments:

Scott W said...

Oh God, that makes my monkey weak!!!!!!!!!

Fiat Lux said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Fiat Lux said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Fiat Lux said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Fiat Lux said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Fiat Lux said...

doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results : I call that "practice." Practice makes perfect.
Is that crazy? No, really... I'm asking.

Fiat Lux said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.