Sunday, March 13, 2005

My Little Tool Box

Many of us alcoholics have short memories. Very short memories. That certainly includes moi. Some months ago, I wrote a list of the tools in my Personal Tool Box. It helps me to remember the things I have to do as a recovering alcoholic. I add to it when I hear something new that can help me.

For the uninformed, this tool box is a device used when things are going good. And when things aren't going so good. It contains strategies I can implement 1) to keep from taking that first drink 2) to help carry the message to other alcoholics. Here's the stuff in my tool box today:


· Go to an AA meeting
· Steps 1 – 12
· The Serenity Prayer
· The Twelve Principles
1. Honesty
2. Hope
3. Faith
4. Courage
5. Integrity
6. Willingness
7. Humility
8. Brotherly Love
9. Discipline
10. Perseverance
11. Awareness of God
12. Service
· Call my sponsor or another person in recovery
· Meet with my sponsor as regularly as possible
· Change people, places and things as necessary
· My sobriety is my priority above all else
· The chip in my pocket
· Beware of H.A.L.T. (hungry, angry, lonely, tired)
· Pause when agitated
· Prayer
· Go to an AA meeting
· Meditate
· Set boundaries and keep them
· Read the literature
· Service work
· Remember what got me here
· Forgive
· Let it go
· Spend time alone
· Keep it simple
· Restraint of pen and tongue
· Do not take other people’s inventory
· Try not to judge others
· Go to an AA meeting
· Make the effort, especially when I don’t want to
· Don’t give up
· Avoid expectations
· Journal or write
· Gratitude list
· Be compassionate and tolerant
· Live and let live
· I can start my day over at any time
· Remember that some others are sicker than I am
· Know that most people (in recovery) are trying their best
· Don’t take the bait
· Go to an AA meeting
· Do not turn down any reasonable request
· Where and when possible, avoid stressful situations
· This too shall pass
· Give out and collect phone numbers
· At meetings, meet and greet people I don’t know
· Be consistent

Did I mention that I have a short memory?

1 comment:

Grace said...

A useful list HP, "Make the effort, especially when I don’t want to"..thats a good one for me just now.