Monday, March 14, 2005

Rewards

A recovering friend of mine celebrated his One-Year Birthday today. One year without any alcohol or drugs. Of course, we hugged and laughed about it. Congrats all around.

He felt overwhelmed with gratitude for the AA program. Another friend got his one-month chip/medallion today. Thirty days clean and sober. While talking about those milestones after the meeting, I realized something I had not thought about before.

Not to downplay my one-year of sobriety, but I really think that when I had my first month of sobriety, it was more special to me than my one-year birthday. You see, before I stopped drinking, I literally could not go for one day without a drink, or more accurately, many drinks. Thirty-two years of drinking had become quite an addiction.

After a week sober, I remember telling my best friend that I was going to try for a whole month to stay sober. I did not know if I could do it, but I was going to really try. When October 5, 2003 rolled around, I stood up proudly and walked to the front of the room at my home group and was given my one-month chip. I know I had a tear in my eye.

That was just one of the infinite rewards of being sober. They keep coming. And I keep coming back.

Dave 1 year trophy

No comments: