Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Life as it Happens ...

I got laid-off from my job / career in November 2002. I was in the oil exploration industry for 20 years. After being laid-off, my drinking progressed to the "out of control" level. In September 2003, I stopped drinking through the program of Alcoholics Anonymous. Since then I have dedicated my daily living to sobriety.

I have, however, continued to search for the "right" employment. Since most of my experience is oil-related, and most of that was overseas, that is where I've focused my search. Last November, almost 2 years to the day after being laid-off, I interviewed for a position in Nigeria, West Africa. I had a second interview a couple of weeks later. The owner of the company has been travelling extensively since the beginning of January and was not in a position to hire for the available job. Finally, I spoke with him today and he told me that he just hired someone who is already "in-country."

That's fine. Little does he know that I have spent 4 months waiting for a decision from him. I actually had second thoughts about going to work for someone who couldn't seem to make a decision. I guess this is the way it was meant to happen. I pretty much "let it go" months ago and was only waiting for an answer.

Back to the job search. Where's that damn lottery ticket?

3 comments:

Scott W said...

It may be selfish of me to say, but I am glad you are staying put for now.

Anonymous said...

I AM ALSO SELFISH...YOUR FACE AND SMILE IS WHAT I LOOK FOR ,AND HAS BEEN THERE SINCE MY RECOVER STARTED !!!XOXOXOXOXOX'S

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Good luck in your search and journey!

I went through a whole career upheaval thing as I approached forty. It was grueling. But then I got my answer. I enjoy the new career/job and never looked back!

Cheers!

Postcards from Hell's Kitchen