Sunday, March 06, 2005

My Luxury Tank

When I was growing up, I was a car nut. I started driving at age 4 on my Dad's lap. Every September the new models would come out and he'd take me to some of the local dealerships to look at all the new cars. I dreamed of having each and every one. Just dreamed and dreamed.

So, as a young kid, I collected model cars. Hundreds of 'em. Back in the '60's they came already assembled and in just about every make and model made by GM, Ford and Chrysler. They were 1/32nd scale. I can still identify most makes from that era. Not like the cars of today. I gave away that collection when I was about 25. I can't imagine what it would be worth today.

In 1983, I had the chance to buy a party car. Had a little extra money and went for it. Bought a 1965 Lincoln Continental. It was in very good condition except for the brakes.

I had the brakes worked on several times but there was always a problem. I kept it for only a couple of years and sold it at a loss.

That car met just about every gay bar in Houston. We could pile 6 or 7 guys in there and go on bar crawls. The pic below is from a road trip to Austin.

Great car. Great fun.

The Lincoln 1983
1965 Lincoln Continental

1 comment:

Scott W said...

Pre-assembly would be before assembly would it not?