Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Dankbar

todAAy, i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

for these words about the alcoholic --- "He cannot picture life without alcohol. Some day he will be unable to imagine life either with alcohol or wihout it. Then he will know loneliness such as few do. He will be at the jumping-off place. He will wish for the end."

for the Tuesday edition of Eyes Wide Shut (6:30am AA group), when we read the Big Book

that today, we read A Vision For You, which contains some of the best writing I know

that a friend, new in recovery, shared about the same feelings that I have regarding isolation and the feeling of imposing myself on others

damnit, I'm not unique!

that here in Houston, this time around, we have 5 days to prepare for hurricane conditions

for my Mom's health and that she will share dinner with my friends and me this weekend

that my Mom forced me to learn math and english when I was a kid

that I learned to type when in high school // the most useful course I ever took

that I studied the German language many, many, many years ago

"The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?"
Pablo Casals

3 comments:

Grace said...

Ooh am thinking about you and Scott re the hurricane, keep safe :-)

Scott W said...

I used to work in a dank bar.

Phil said...

"You will surely meet some of us as you trudge the Road of Happy Destiny." Not literally true for us, 65 years later and the pioneers long passed on. The other night, though, an oldtimer talked about being befriended as a newcomer by Jim Burwell ("The Vicious Cycle," "as we understood him," Tradition 3). There aren't that many sponsorship "generations" from us to the pioneers.

Be safe in the storm, Dave!