Monday, May 31, 2010

Step One "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol -



that our lives had become unmanageable.


I really never had a problem admitting that I'm an alcoholic. From my late 20's, that was rather clear. I drank more than anyone else I knew. I drank every night. I drank during the day when I could get away with it. This went on for more than 30 years. And by the time my drinking was finished, I was drinking when I didn't want to. But I had to drink. I didn't know how NOT to drink.
However, I have had a more difficult time realizing the unmanageability of my life. Now, I see it better than ever. But until I had been sober for a couple of years, this was hard to grasp. To put it simply, now I know how alcohol managed my life. All my thoughts and most of my behavior.


todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

that I'm sober today and for the last 2460 days.

that I attended our May birthday night at Lambda on Saturday. We had 24 people celebrating a total of 399 years of sobriety.

for the things that this holiday stands for. All service men in defense of their country are special people. I have the ultimate respect for the work they do.


If I had my life to live over...I'd dare to make more mistakes next time.
- Nadine Stair

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you posted this -- a key insight for me was to understand the connection between my being powerless over alcohol and the chaotic muddle of my life.

Mary LA

Mary Christine said...

Thanks Dave.

Syd said...

I too am glad that you posted this. Thanks Dave for being here.

marie said...

ah, yes. I will always be an alcoholic and my life will always be unmanageable. I guess that is why I hear people say Step 1 is the only step we can work perfectly. Thanks, Dave!