Saturday, June 18, 2005

Acceptance

I went to 3 meetings yesterday -- the topic at each one was Acceptance. So, over the course of the day, I realized 2 things I have not thought about before ...

1) I drank for acceptance from others. So I would "fit in". In living sober, I must learn to accept myself for what I am and the world around me for what it is.

2) There is more to acceptance than just acceptance. I can accept just about anything. The challenge is learning how to react or behave regarding that acceptance.

Number two is the "aha!" revelation for me.

examples:

It was easy for me to admit and accept my alcoholism. My challenge was in changing my behaviour towards drinking.

I was littered with resentments. Towards myself and others. Having worked the steps of AA, I learned to accept others and myself and how to "let it go". Thus, I could change my reactions to the beahviour around me.

Make sense? Well, it does to me, and that's what's important.
Accept it.

1 comment:

Scott W said...

I feel more accepted at one meeting of AA than I felt in the entire 49 years before I got sober. Thanks for the reminder.