Monday, June 27, 2005

Lambda Center Pulls Together

Sunday was a BIG day at Lambda Center. OUR AA clubhouse.

For a year, there has been a bit of a controversy regarding allowing meetings other than AA and Al-Anon at Lambda. We voted last summer to allow a CMA (crystal meth anonymous) meeting, but a few of the membership felt that the voting procedure had irregularities and should not have been counted as valid. They have lobbied for 12 months to stop that meeting, change the Bylaws of Lambda or to just shut the doors and close the building. (I will not comment on that last alternative)

The Board of Directors has worked hard and diligently the past months to set things right. I know this because I was one of them. There have been hundreds of man-hours spent towards this end.

The voting day was yesterday amongst the membership. It was close. 46-45 in favor of AA and Al-Anon meetings ONLY. Many of the membership spoke their peace/piece for the allowed 3 minutes before the vote. Passionate arguments were heard by both sides of the argument. A lot of sobriety was in that room and a lot of common sense.

The future may see some changes. For now, Lambda shall remain exclusive for other drug-recovery meetings. Personally, my vote was to move forward with changes, but I am only one voice and I made it heard. However, I strongly feel that a lot of progress was made to bring a new cohesiveness to the membership in a way WE have not seen previously.

This is a good thing.

9 comments:

Recovery Road London said...

If I am an alcoholic who has a desire to stop drinking but cannot afford membership fees, can I attend meetings at the centre?

Sorry, I'm probably being dense, but I don't quite understand.....

dAAve said...

Yes.
No person is ever turned away. Lambda encourages membership so that the building can pay its expenses. It costs an average of $8000 per month to open the doors. There are now 45 groups that meet each week.

Lambda is simply a landlord to AA and Al-Anon groups and not part of AA itself. Groups do not require money to join, although a collection basket is passed at each meeting. A percentage of the monies collected are designated to pay Lambda for rent. The group then decides what to do with the remainder.

In fact, only about 20% of the Lambda attendees are actually members.

Recovery Road London said...

**scuffs stone with shoe...sighs**

Drat. **laughing** I was hoping for a heated debate about "the only requirement for membership...."

Kidding aside, thanks for putting me staright. The facilities look fantastic. As I mentioned before, you're lucky to have such cool places.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Of course, I am a teeny bit biased, but I would like to take this opportunity to thank that board for the excellent way it handeled that controversy.And, may I add that you should be given a bountiful amount of praise for the excellent work and service you have completed at the Center this past year. Thank you. Queen Noor

Scott W said...

And some people say their vote doesn't count! The measure was decided by that one vote. It was interesting, as always, to see the democtatic process in action.

I have learned from past experience, I may have an idea of how I am going to vote but I need to listen to both sides of the issue because my mind is capable of only so much. During the open mike time yesterday I was swaying back and forth on the issue, such convincing arguments pro and con.

The issue is a complicated one, the wording of the articles of incorporation state (to the bestof my understanding) that Lambda is available to AA and AlAnon meetings only. The wording of the question we were voting on was a bit nebulous. And since Lambda Center is not AA related there was a lot to consider.

What it came down to for me was this: Lambda Center has been in existence for 27 years, with a new board every 6 months, that makes for 54 boards over the years. The center wasn't run into the ground during those years, although it is my understanding that some boards were inexperienced and things got a bit shaky at times. I did not want to be exclusive of other programs having a place to meet so I tursted in a Higher Power to guide the process of the vote.

Many cross addicted persons have found sobriety (or clean time) in the rooms of AA at the Lambda Center. We allow anyone to attend if they think they have a problem with addiction. Drugs are often spoken of as primary or secondary in one's story.

Lambda is a unique center, and we hear that from people from all over the world. Houston is lucky to have such an inclusive center for recovery.

And David, I commend you on your service work as secretary, your anal retentive qualities were well served.

dAAve said...

I blush.

No, that's sunburn.

TLP said...

None of my business of course. I'm not an alcoholic, or an addict of any kind. But it seems less than generous to not allow all types of addictions to meet there. Whether it's drugs or alcohol (which is a drug) it's the same thing really: trying to self medicate one's pain.

Recovery Road London said...

I'm inclined to say AA is for Alcoholics, not addicts. There are Fellowships which deal with drug addiction.

Else, where would the line be drawn? Overeaters, sex addicts, gamblers etc, etc all in AA meetings....

The writings of Bill and Bob are very clear on this issue.

Hannen said...

I voted Yes also. During the meeting Scott said he felt like a Ping Pong Ball. Back and forth, back and forth. My problem was that I agreed with almost everybody. They were all good reasons, for and against. Change can be a good thing.