Friday, June 24, 2005

Walking through Fear

Soon after typing this, I'm off to another 6:30am meeting. Each morning, I attend the 6:30 at my home club, Lambda Center.

But today, I've been asked to lead a meeting at The Post Oak Club. I'm honored, of course. I have only attended one meeting there previously and that was over a year ago. It's not too far, about 15 minutes away. It's also probably the most highly attended AA club in Houston and is located in one of the posh areas of the city. It's also straight. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

I'm a little nervous. But I'll suit up and show up. I asked my HP to guide me through the meeting and I've decided to just leave the outcome to him.

My topic(s) for the morning: using my tool box and walking through fear

UPDATE: The meeting went just fine. The only topic, as it turned out, was about tool boxes in sobriety. The walking through fear bit was my topic (in my head) about doing the meeting itself. A fear that proved unnecessary, of course.

5 comments:

GodlessMom said...

Good luck! I'm sure it will be great. Let us know how it goes.

GodlessMom said...

Cool! I'm glad it went well.

Recovery Road London said...

That club looks fantastic. I wish we had such places over here.

Mind you, I grateful for any AA meeting, where ever it is.

:-)

Recovery Road London said...

How does the Lambda Group justify charging membership fees. This doesn;t seem to be in the spirit of AA????????????

"The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking."

dAAve said...

Lambda CENTER is a landlord for AA and Al-Anon meetings BUT its Bylaws state that it should be run according to the Traditions of AA whenever possible.

It is a not-for-profit-corporation totally separate from AA. Each AUTONOMOUS group that meets at Lambda pays monthly rent to Lambda (85% of the group basket donations). If the group wants, it can move to another venue to hold its meetings.

Lambda Center also holds fundraisers and accepts private donations to meets its payroll and expenses. In keeping with the AA Traditions, no person may donate more than $2000 per year to Lambda. It operates on a prudent reserve (generally a 3-month reserve).