Thursday, June 02, 2005

St Francis of Assissi

Words and thoughts to live by.

"Lord, make me a channel of thy peace,
that where there is hatred, I may bring love,
that where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness,
that where there is discord, I may bring harmony,
that where there is error, I may bring truth,
that where there is doubt, I may bring faith,
that where there is despair, I may bring hope,
that where there are shadows, I may bring light,
that where there is sadness, I may bring joy.
Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort than be comforted,
to understand, than to be understood,
to love, than to be loved.
For it is by self-forgetting that one finds.
It is by forgiving that one is forgiven.
It is by dying that one awakens to Eternal Life.
Amen."

4 comments:

Recovery Road London said...

We used to sing that as a hymn at school. Takes me waaaaaaaaaaaaay back.

Redhead Gal said...

I was singing the hymn as I read it. Really love that prayer.

Fiat Lux said...

I remember the prayer of course but I really relate to it more from the Sarah McLachlan song from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer show. Her songs go well with that series.

Anonymous said...

I carry a laminated version of this prayer in my wallet.