Thursday, June 02, 2005

Longevity in Hamburg

When I lived in Europe I occasionally took short trips away from work. Always by train. It's a great way to get around and the scenery makes it all worthwhile.

My usual preparation for these trips was to search in my Spartacus International Gay Guide. I would select a city, then locate the best-sounding bars, then find a gay Bed & Breakfast or hotel within walking distance to those bars. It helped if there was a gay sauna nearby as well.
Sparacus
'92 / '93 edition

So I took a 3-day trip to Hamburg, Germany. I walked from the train station to the B&B and checked-in. Typically, these B&B's were small, maybe 5-10 rooms with 2 or 3 or 4 rooms on each floor. After getting settled for 4 minutes, I went downstairs and asked the proprietor to direct me to the nearest bar. He pointed to the left. Next door. What a coincidence.

In I walked and sat at the counter and ordered a local brew. It was about 4pm. I was the only guy there besides a small group of guys in a corner who seemed to be having a pretty good time. I talked to the bartender a few minutes; trying to pick his brain on the best places to hang out at night. He handed me a couple of gay mags to look over, complete with maps of the area.

Off I went on my daily search for the most fun I could find. Nothing exciting happened that night but I'm sure I had a good time. About 11pm, I made it back to my place but stopped in at the next door bar for a last drink. That group of guys was still there and they were pretty loud by this time, complete with their own CD player. Their group had grown to about 8 or 10 well-oiled Germans.

I woke up the next morning at my usual 6am. Gotta have coffee. The bar next door was also a coffee shop so I got dressed and went there. Again, I was the only customer -- except for the group in the corner. They were still there!!! These guys were so drunk I couldn't help but smile. Their number was down to 4 or 5 guys but the beer was still flowing. The music was still playing. They had been there continuously for at least 14 hours - and counting.

I drank my coffee and left.

4 comments:

GodlessMom said...

Boy, I bet those guys were dehydrated!

Jim's comment is interesting. Does the gene pool in the US have a higher incidence of people who might be predisposed to addiction?

Hannen said...

Towards the end, I usually went on 14 day drinking sprees. Glad it's over.

Redhead Gal said...

just imagining the hangover when they sobered up finally...ugh

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Oh, the Spartacus Guide! For many years I would rush to buy the newest copy before heading off on a trip!

Haven't seen one in years!

Cheers,
Mr. HK
Postcards from Hell's Kitchen.